2/13/2012

The Road Not Taken..




Ever since I was a kid, I’ve always been a bit.. different. Most of you reading this know of my childhood, and the simple fact that it is amazing that I have lived this long. A large part of that success I attribute to my taking ‘the road not taken’. Robert Frost summed it up nicely in his poem, which I memorized while in the third grade. It’s appropriate for my life, I feel.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

No one who knows me could ever say I have traveled the path most others travel. I have rebelled in almost every aspect of life at one time or another, and reveled in the notoriety of being a social outcast, by my own choosing. “Society” being what it is today, I am perfectly fine with that.

I’ve been giving a lot of thought lately as to just who I am. I have many names, and wear many masks. I am Husband, Lover, Friend, Son, Brother, Friend, Protector, Adviser, Guide, Mentor.. but who am **I**, when it comes down to it? At the end of it all, when they lay my body into the ground, what am I going to be remembered for, and by whom? What impact am I having on this world, and am I making it a better place? Has the path I have chosen afforded me the pleasure of making the world a better place, or have I been deluding myself all these years?

Well, be that as it may, I am getting my life back on a schedule now, and setting things in order.  You may look forward to more posts from me, and continuous updates. I’ll be spending more time on the Runes page, as well as the Ogham page, as we take this journey through the roads less traveled..

Take my hand, and journey with me further down the road into my psyche, that twisted path of fun, the road less traveled…

No comments:

Post a Comment